Native Mass Spectrometry has emerged as standard tool in characterizing the structure and dynamics of biomolecular complexes. Native Mass Spectrometry can provide insights in the stoichiometry and topology of subunits by inducing partial dissociation of the protein complex.
Since 2005 MS Vision has been active in the fieldof Native Mass Spectrometry and has fulfilled a pioneering role in the development of the technique. Via intense collaboration with the group of prof. Albert Heck in Utrecht, we have gradually and steadily improved the technology for the analysis of intact (non-covalently bound) protein complexes, preserving native conditions in the gas-phase.
Being a small, dedicated and focussed company we have developed our technology through modification of Waters series Q-Tof and LCT technology. Initially our hardware developments were targeted at first generation Q-Tof instruments; latest development have lead to excellent high mass (native) MS performance for Synapt series instruments. MS Vision High Mass systems go a leap forward, compared to the standard instruments, and our High Mass Synapt systems comprise:
- Extension of the quadrupole m/z range to 32 kDa, enabling efficient transmission of up-to Mega Dalton protein complexes
- Apart from the standard (more enclosed) Synapt ion source conditions, we can run the instrument under softer ionization conditions, which offer additional advantages in analysing fragile complexes and preserving native conditions
- Low and high energy activation / dissociation tools, using optimized and fully controllable settings of the gas handling (easy switch between different collision gases), gas pressure regulation and RF Amplitudes in the TriWave section
- Customized acquisition settings, varying the pusher frequency settings within the ToF section, depending on m/z value of the complexes
- Preserving the Ion Mobility capability of the instrument
- Today over 35 systems have been installed at academic sites (proteomics- and biology laboratories) and a number of pharmaceutical companies.
Applications range from the analysis of antibodies (Mw determination and purity checks); Antigen-Antibody interaction studies (stochiometry and affinity studies); Antibody PTM analysis (glycosilation, Antibody Drug Conjugates (ADC)); protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions (stochiometry, topology ) and virus capsids (composition, viral drugs development).
The figure below shows the High Mass Synapt MS spectrum of the intact tetra-decamer (bottom spectrum) and MS-MS spectra (topspectra), under varying acceleration voltages and activation energies of the 69+ charge state of an refolded E.Coli GroEL complex in 200 mM NH4Ac pH 6.7. Data courtesy: University Freiburg (Germany)